My dressmaking course requires lots of samples. To be frank, I find it boring to sew things just for a sample book, which I doubt I’ll look at too much in the future (not being flippant, based on experience of last years course where I had to also create a sample book).
So, how to make things more interesting? I’ve decided to approach each sample artistically. What else could it be? so hem finishes have become a flower with many petals (of hems) and I’ve made a picture frame of seam finishes etc.
On to today’s project. Pleats and tucks. With the added twist of using them in the pattern block I have drafted for myself. Oh great. The news was not met by a cheer of joy by the class to say the least. I decided to make it less painful and do both in one go.
Half way through I thought, why not finish the thing by adding a waist band to the skirt top I was making, and a band of contrast fabric to the hem to make it (half) decent. This is not something I am ever going to wear, I hasten to add. It would be a bit too short! but it is my first ever pattern where I have done all the drafting work. Its certainly not perfect – but its something I am proud of. First of all, the all important pattern pieces. Traced off my master copy and “tweaked”.
and finally, the actual skirt (all made out of scraps!). No zip added (left a side opening) as this is just a sample and I really cant muster up the energy for a zip.