another project blossoms!

So this project was supposed to be started AFTER I finished the skirt I had originally purchased the fabric for. This was the “use up the scraps” idea I had when, as per usual, I saw there was an opportunity to make (a little) something extra. My original skirt pattern is all cut out. Then it ground to a halt.

In the intervening period I have gone on holiday, returned home, got a nasty cold, had a weekend away and been madly busy at work. My little brain had hardly any functioning power left at the end of each day and I wanted something I could still “do” without fitting worries. Hello little dress project. It got bumped up the queue.

I am intending to use the same pattern (Simplicity 1207) again later in the year as I have bought fabric to make the coat option, and will make a matching dress. So I thought this would be a good trial run. I increased the size to a 5 (it only goes up to 4) and made a few alterations.

* used an invisible zipper
* I didn’t have enough fabric from the scraps to cut the front skirt on the fold so it has a centre front seam
* due to fabric constrains reduced the hem allowance by 5mm. I’m glad I did as this is deep enough and I can see any more and you would have had to have eased it in more
* added rick rack decorative trim
* added bias binding to the raw hem edge, both as a finish and to give the hem more body as the fabric needed some support to prevent it being too floppy.
* used french seam finishes apart from the sleeves. Bound the bodice/dress hem in bias binding to prevent fraying.

I felt the colour blocking worked well, but left the hem area looking a little plain. After some pondering I decided to go with rick rack and chose colours which matched with the flowers in the bodice. It’s a shame the dress didn’t include more of a polished finish for the inside of the bodice, but by adding the above details it now looks pretty nice. This is my first time making scallops. They are pretty, but tricky to get symmetrical. I had to do some revisions before they turned out ok.

Tomorrow I am hosting a sewing afternoon with friends, so hope to finally get cracking on the skirt. I have fallen slightly off the wagon and got some more fabric today (it was on offer, sigh) which is a nice cotton stretch light weight denim to make another skirt. At this rate my wardrobe will have a nice selection. Plus hopefully I will be better at making them!