So, thanks to discovering I made a mistake matching up my notches when adding the front shoulder pieces (it’s been a long week, and I have been very tired) this made my shoulders a) wider and b) accounts for my why my neckline doesn’t look like the pattern envelope. It was too bad I discovered this after grading all of my seams so had no seam allowance left to correct my error.
In order to mitigate the shoulder problem I sought, and received, some advice on possible solutions. The easiest of these being the addition of shoulder pads. I have used them before, but only when making a jacket. Not in a dress.
Normally these wouldn’t be something I would consider, but this pattern does (even with out my mistake) does create the impression of sloping shoulders. Happily the shoulder pads have had the desired effect, reducing the slope, creating more structure and taking up some of the extra space I accidentally created.
I have also added a zip. So I now don’t need my housemate to pin me in! much easier to try on to check the fit. Despite taking another inch off the waist I am still debating if I need to take in more ease. We shall see. In the mean time here is the progress, and you get to enjoy my contortions whilst trying to take photos of myself in a mirror!