I have been working on my outstanding projects in fits and starts. It’s now mid January and I have finally been able to cross some things off the list. The previously mentioned travel bag and skirt have now been finished. I have also made a pin sharpening pin cushion for my sister.
The latter is made by taking fine steel wire wool, wrapping it in wadding and then using a silk shell for the outside layer. Add a button in the middle and voila, done! a very nice quick project.
The skirt, after under stitching, then more top stitching (at the waist, as the lining was still rolling) has now become a well behaved piece of clothing. I will warn you though, if you work with tapestry if will ravel very badly.
Not very exciting, but also done, is the travel bag lining. Which was a bit tricky to add as it kept getting stuck in the zipper teeth until I top stitched that as well. If you are ever working with really thick fabric and lots of layers I recommend getting a jean needle. I kept breaking my size 16 needles until I did this, as all the seams needed top stitching as you can’t really press them well given the amount of interfacing I had added and curves.
Moving on, I hope to get the matching jacket finished soon. I am going to be adding bound button holes shortly so I can double check the final fit. I’m going to extend the facing around the neckline after a pattern review member who had made the jacket recommended doing this. I also need to finish the back slit on that colour blocked dress so I can cross that off the list too. Given the current temperatures here it will be a while before I can wear it though!