all boxed up and ready to go

As is often the case I have ended up working back to front. I was intending to make a Vogue 9219 coat pattern. After cutting out the many pieces (it will be interlined with wool, the outside layer is cotton) I made the discovery that there would be a good amount of fabric left. This was not entirely unexpected, as originally when I bought the fabric (a while ago now) I intended to make a matching dress and coat (both colour blocked).

Other sewing projects came first, and the girl I am sewing for had definitely outgrown the maximum size of the pattern I had bought. So, a new pattern was chosen and purchased. Although it used more fabric then the original there was still some left, so I ended up making a dress, which used the fabric from the coat for the skirt, and two different (leftover from other projects) fabrics for the bodice. Both of these had stretch which should make it comfy to wear.

Its been nice to use them all up. The pattern Simplicity 1211 is pretty cute. Alas, my leftover fabric for the skirt wasn’t wide enough to create the full range of box pleats required for the design. I – drumroll please – redrafted the entire lot from scratch to ensure it would match the bodice. I am pretty pleased with the finished result and the side box pleats almost match the side seams.

I also fully lined the dress instead of the originally planned bodice only as specified by the instructions. To help ensure it continues to fit, I increased the depth of the hem to 10cm so it can be adjusted at a later date.

I’ve now been able to turn my attention back to the coat. As like most Vogue patterns that are rated “average” there are a fair number of pieces to cut out and assemble. I rapidly decided to skip the instructions to use sew in interfacing for everything that needed stiffening and used a good quality iron on instead.

I’m intending to use bound button holes instead of the snaps the pattern suggests.Given the thickness of the interlined fabric this is practical as well as a nice finish. I’ve got a lovely viscose duchess satin type lining sewn up to insert shortly once the collar is added. Not too long to go now!

 

20170823_222920

Advertisements

paws for thought: the latest projects

Although I have been busy at work, the same cannot be said as convincingly about my sewing. I have finally got some projects to share. First of all is a blouse which (unintentionally) ended up looking almost exactly like the pattern cover image. The fabric is the same striped cotton. Due to being a bit tired the last month I didn’t do a great job reading the instructions so messed up inserting the peplum. There is dart to add to where the peplum is inserted, so pay attention closely to the instructions so you don’t make my mistake!

Other than some mistakes, I dropped down to a 14 at the waist, which is close fitting but ok. I ended up reducing the seam allowance to 1cm for the peplum as it was gapping at the front. This fixed things nicely. I also attempted my first go at shortening at waist, by removing about a cm. I compared the pattern to my sloper and decided this was a good idea as a result. Ironically this now looks awful on my dress form and bunches up.

I think (when the weather is warm enough for me to wear this) I won’t be buttoning up all the way to the collar. I have some more fabric in a floral print which I intend to use to make the other version of this pattern.

Simplicity 1590

Burda 9792

Long term readers will recognise this pattern already, as I made it last year. I discovered I would have some fabric left over after laying out the pieces for my blouse, and this fit (just!) in-between the spaces. In essence a free project. Apart from the (adorably cute) buttons which actually have ladybirds on them. This was a project for a friend, and I practised my finishing techniques by using french seams and hand overcast stitching. So much quicker than on big projects! I used my (now favoured) neckline bias binding finishing technique.

photo5

Newlook 6462

This is for another friend who specified nothing pink and nothing floral for her daughter. When I saw this fabric it was the perfect match, as she has a scottie dog. I messed up again on the arm holes as I didn’t read the instruction about the seam allowance being more narrow. So, I ended up with more bias binding. But it doesn’t detract from the overall look so I have escaped unscathed! Again, I managed to eek out another pattern, making the hat out of a free Oliver + S pattern. The hat was so simple it got made in an afternoon and is reversible.

I liked the unusual vintage look, and think it strikes a good balance between cute but (as requested) not too girly.

photo2

Which means (drumroll please) I can think about starting another project. The above have collectively been waiting to be finished, so it is quite a nice feeling to be starting from afresh.