Although I have been busy at work, the same cannot be said as convincingly about my sewing. I have finally got some projects to share. First of all is a blouse which (unintentionally) ended up looking almost exactly like the pattern cover image. The fabric is the same striped cotton. Due to being a bit tired the last month I didn’t do a great job reading the instructions so messed up inserting the peplum. There is dart to add to where the peplum is inserted, so pay attention closely to the instructions so you don’t make my mistake!
Other than some mistakes, I dropped down to a 14 at the waist, which is close fitting but ok. I ended up reducing the seam allowance to 1cm for the peplum as it was gapping at the front. This fixed things nicely. I also attempted my first go at shortening at waist, by removing about a cm. I compared the pattern to my sloper and decided this was a good idea as a result. Ironically this now looks awful on my dress form and bunches up.
I think (when the weather is warm enough for me to wear this) I won’t be buttoning up all the way to the collar. I have some more fabric in a floral print which I intend to use to make the other version of this pattern.
Long term readers will recognise this pattern already, as I made it last year. I discovered I would have some fabric left over after laying out the pieces for my blouse, and this fit (just!) in-between the spaces. In essence a free project. Apart from the (adorably cute) buttons which actually have ladybirds on them. This was a project for a friend, and I practised my finishing techniques by using french seams and hand overcast stitching. So much quicker than on big projects! I used my (now favoured) neckline bias binding finishing technique.
This is for another friend who specified nothing pink and nothing floral for her daughter. When I saw this fabric it was the perfect match, as she has a scottie dog. I messed up again on the arm holes as I didn’t read the instruction about the seam allowance being more narrow. So, I ended up with more bias binding. But it doesn’t detract from the overall look so I have escaped unscathed! Again, I managed to eek out another pattern, making the hat out of a free Oliver + S pattern. The hat was so simple it got made in an afternoon and is reversible.
I liked the unusual vintage look, and think it strikes a good balance between cute but (as requested) not too girly.
Which means (drumroll please) I can think about starting another project. The above have collectively been waiting to be finished, so it is quite a nice feeling to be starting from afresh.