So, the coat project has been temporarily put on ice (ok, it’s not that cold but it sure is frosty in the mornings) whilst I sum up some more energy and enthusiasm for getting the remaining sleeve fit sorted. I am toying with the idea of adding gussets to help make them more comfortable. I can safely experiment thanks to my toile sleeve which I still have left over. Until I am satisfied, my remaining pink wool shall remained untouched and uncut!
Of course, this does not mean my sewing machine has been idle. Far from it, in need of a straight forward sewing fix (less face it, this coat has been taking FAR too long) I have made another baby jacket for my friend. This one is quilted, which has been interesting in terms of preparing the fabric. It takes a long time. But worth it for the finished effect. May I introduce Kwiksew 4080. I even managed to use some of stash as my mother had given me some lightweight cotton flannel in cream which I didn’t know what to do with. It’s not the inside batting layer. I have also made a matching hat. At some point I’ll get a photo sorted but it got finished at the last minute before delivery so not picture opportunity….
Apart from unpicking two of the buttonholes – please someone invent an undo feature at the touch of a sewing machine button – this was a pretty painless project. Applying bias binding around little baby cuffs is a little tricky!