sailing through more projects

It’s been a while since I last posted – rest assured the time has been spent busy on projects. I just hadn’t quite got round to posting about them! One of the reasons I now have time to do so is that I am without my sewing machine for a whole week whilst it is being serviced. I am going to do my best to console myself by cutting out new projects.

In the mean time, here is a look back. I decided, with only two weeks to go, to make a quilt for a friend’s son’s christening. You would have thought after deciding to make a full sized quilt a month in advance of a wedding I would have learned this isn’t such a good idea, but I did manage to get all bar two seams of hand stitching done on the day, and hand it over the following day.

I was asked to look at a boat theme, and of course as I don’t go for simple ideas I made it reversible. This made the quilting a bit tricky as I wanted it to look good from both sides. So I ended up quilting around all of the animals. I’m pleased with the final look, and was even able to eek out a cushion cover the left over scraps.



The above work sidelined the coat (Vogue 9219) I had already started making a while ago, and once I got to the button hole stage my enthusiasm waned and I took a bit of a break. I finally sat down one weekend and worked my way through them all. They’ve not turned out too badly. I did discover I had miscalculated the width of the hem facing (I used a different size for the width to the height) so added an extra section and machine embroidered the recipient’s name in the middle.



I’m pleased to report that both parties were very happy to receive the completed work, and so am I as it means I can now return to my original (shelved) plan to make a matching skirt and bolero.